Saturday, April 19, 2008

Jonathan Livingston Seagull---My NOVEL REVIEW

Jonathan Livingston Seagull a novel written by Richard Bach
Introduction:
“The greatest tragedy is not death, but life without purpose”
-Rick Warren, The Purpose of Driven Life
Jonathan Livingston Seagull is a story of knowing one’s purpose because there’s nothing more important in this world than knowing one’s purpose. Every activity is motivated by a purpose, every action is prompted by a stimulant or anything that provokes it. Such is the law of nature and it applies not only to the rest of the cosmic world but to man him self. Sadly many of us do not know what we are here for. We go around in circles but we don’t seem to cover the ground. We lived in this fast-paced world hurrying and scurrying about like little children lost in a spinning merry-go-round. We must remember that life here on earth is not forever. We are just passing through; our life is only temporary. The simplest we can say about one’s purpose here on earth is to live life to the fullest, doing good things that lead us astray.
We must not stop believing, learning, dreaming and of course the most important we will have to survive. We must enjoy our life here on earth because this will only come once in our life. Once we are through we cannot absolutely come back. We must see to it that at this very moment of our life we already know what is our purpose in life because, “Without a purpose, life is motion without meaning, activity without direction, and events without reason. Without a purpose, life is trivial, petty and pointless.”
A “terrific “ story Jonathan Livingston Seagull was. It was basically, an animal fantasy story of a seagull named Jonathan Livingston who loved to fly. It all started when Jonathan always isolated by himself far out of the sea hungry, happy, but learning. He was not accepted in his flock. His flock always mock at him for he is bone and feathers especially his concern mother who always kept on reminding him to eat rather than flying. He was then outcast from the flock for his reckless irresponsibility because he always find reason to life, lift himself out of ignorance and find himself as creature of excellence, intelligence, and skill. He wanted to share his learning to his fellow seagulls but he failed because his fellow seagulls ignored him. Until one time he reached the green sky planet and he found out that there are other seagulls that are also outcast just like him. He initiated leadership among these seagulls. He confirmed himself as their teacher and taught them techniques how to fly at higher speed. He also taught them other means of getting food not only on the sea but also in land. He was happy at that time because, at last he was then finally feel that he was not just only seagull who wants to fly at a very high speed.
His enthusiasm increased as he continued his teaching and he is more optimistic to go back to earth regardless of the seagull law that stated that “Once you are outcast you were never allowed to return” this law was not yet been broken once ten thousand years. Then he led the flock back to earth. Which means he broke the law. Then he had begun his critique of the flight, but the flocks seemed confused and wondered why they returned. But the younger gulls wondered how they learned to fly like that. They became interested to fly with a very high speed. The number of students who wanted to fly increased and Jonathan considered it as a self-fulfillment to earn more students who he wanted to share his abilities and learning. He left from earth but after going to another place he created a new instructor in the person of his successful student named Fletcher Llynd, same values, abilities and learning’s were transmitted to the student of the new instructor Fletcher Llynd. And Fletcher had made it. He already had a new flock, a flock of determined gulls.
It was clearly stated in the story that, it happened in the sea, the earthly blue sky, the planet with green sky, and so with in land and higher cliffs. The setting was seemed so very confusing because of the switching of the place. I enjoy reading the story because, of the way the author describes the setting. Even if it was very confusing but if you will just really read and comprehend it very will you will absolutely enjoy and internalize the story.
The story can never be meaningful and extra ordinary if there is no nice characters who give life in the story. How nice the author presented the characters and the most interesting is that he represents seagulls as the characters, which is very amazing, and very interesting to tackle. The story Jonathan Livingston Seagull had these following characters namely;
Jonathan Livingston Seagull
He was the main character in the story, he was a seagull, a type of seagull who loves flying. He was an adventurer, learner, and determined but he was disobedient towards his family. I like his attitude but he must also listen to the opinion of his family. It is a way also. He was the gull who was looking for heaven and found out that heaven is not a place and time but heaven is perfection. He was the gull who was become the instructor and the one who give the idea of truth being a son of a great gull. Each individual have an unlimited idea of freedom and precision flying is a step towards expressing their real nature according to him everything that limits them they have to put a sight.
Mother of Jonathan
She was a loving and concern mother of Jonathan who convince Jonathan to deal with the rest of the flock and eat instead of learning because her sons image who is Jonathan appears to be bone and feathers. She is not a supportive mother to Jonathan. She used to scold Jonathan because Jonathan disobeyed her. Even though she was not supportive she was just doing his part as a mother.
Father of Jonathan
He was a kind father and he was also concerned to Jonathan. He always kept on reminding Jonathan that “Jonathan study food and how to get it instead of flying.”
Elder Seagull
Not kind, and a very strict kind of leader. He was the one who let Jonathan stand at the center of the flock for shamed in sight of his fellow seagulls because of Jonathan’s reckless irresponsibility, violating the dignity and tradition of the gull family. And said that Jonathan will learn out from that irresponsibility, that life is the unknown and unknowable, except that they are put in this world to eat, to stay alive as long as they possibly can. He was indeed not a good leader to the flock because if you are a good leader you must not discourage your members, instead you must encourage them in order for them to develop. He did not listen to Jonathan’s opinion.
The gulls
They were the two gulls who appeared as Jonathan was gliding peacefully and alone through his beloved sky. They were gentle and friendly and initiated the ability and capability of Jonathan. The two of them told Jonathan that they were there to take him home.
Sullivan
A companion and instructor who told Jonathan that he learned so much at one time for Jonathan is a fast learner. He always encouraged Jonathan to try and try again until he succeeds. He was a good instructor indeed!
Chiang
The one who brought Jonathan to the planet with green sky he gave the idea of heaven to Jonathan and said to Jonathan “Since you are a great flyer you will begin to touch heaven in the moment you will touch perfect speed. Without giving any number because any number is a limit and perfection doesn’t have limits.” He served as the second instructor of Jonathan. He said to Jonathan to forget about faith, because, Jonathan didn’t need faith to fly, instead he needed to understand flying. He was nice to Jonathan and he serves as the idol of Jonathan. He also served as the model to Jonathan upon attaining Jonathan’s dream.
Fletcher Llynd Seagull
He was a determined and open-minded seagull just like Jonathan, and he was the first student of Jonathan Livingston and eventually, become a plight instructor of Jonathan. Jonathan introduced to him the truth behind the idea of being the son of the great seagull who has an unlimited idea of freedom. Moreover, Jonathan said to him that flying is a step towards expressing their real nature. He was the one who had been the new instructor. He was then formed a new flock as Jonathan said goodbye to him. He taught his members, as the way Jonathan teaches him. He implies same values.
Henry Calvin Gull
The one who hesitate to go back to earth, because, they were not welcome. They were outcast. He said that they couldn’t force themselves to go where they were not welcome.
Martin Gull
The gull who appreciates the way Jonathan and his companions fly. A young seagull, who Jonathan had shouted across the sky and convinced him to fly. He started to fly with a low speed. He was also a determined gull.
Charles Roland Gull
A student of Jonathan flew the great mountain wind to 24 thousand feet. He was amazed and happy and still determined to fly higher. He loves the way Jonathan teaches him for Jonathan was a great instructor to him.
Kirk Maynard Gull
A cute little gull, whom collapsed at Jonathan’s feet and ask for help for help. He begged Jonathan to teach him to fly more than anything else in the world and he complained that he can’t spread his wings because he is that young. He was the one wherein Jonathan said that he have the freedom to be himself true to himself and can stand to his own way.
The most exciting part in the story was when the Elder’s let Jonathan stand in front of the flock. Standing in front or at the center meant only great shame or great honor. Jonathan explained that he do not want honors, he told them that he do not wish to become a leader he said to them that all he wants is to share what he had found, he want to show horizons out ahead for the gulls. So, the elder commanded Jonathan to stand at the center for shame in the sight of his fellow gulls. Jonathan at that very moment felt being hit with a board, his knees went weak, his feathers sagged, there was roaring in his ears.
Suddenly a solemn voice intoned and let the flock knows that because of Jonathan’s reckless irresponsibility and because he violates the dignity and tradition of the gull family. Being at the center for shame meant that he would be cast out of the gull society, he would be banished to a solitary life in the far cliffs. Jonathan cried because for him he was not irresponsible, all he is trying to say that his purpose is to find the meaning of life. This part of the story was really a very exciting. Because as we all know being outcast is hard, you will be alone and you have nothing to be with but Jonathan did not find it difficult instead he takes it as a challenge he was able to discover a lot of things. He discovered also that boredom and fear so with anger are the reasons why gulls life is so short. Jonathan lived a long life indeed because, he was not boring kind of seagull.
The denouement in the story Jonathan Livingston Seagull was when he returns to earth with proud. Together with his companions, they are finally ready to face the flock, he was finally being able to reached his ambition in life and proved to the flock that it is not eating that matters but also flying. Even though he was outcast it was not a hindrance for him in attaining his dreams in life. And the young gull appreciates the way they fly, and they were determined to fly just like the way Jonathan and his companions fly. And so they ask Jonathan to teach them that way of flying.
Jonathan Livingston Seagull’s determination to fly was indeed not an easy decision to make. His determination led him to face many consequences in his life. He was outcast by his family because, his family does not like the way he acted because Jonathan just keep on flying and practicing without eating. His family was worried because he was already bone and feathers. His flock doesn’t like him also because Jonathan was irresponsible, he violates the dignity and tradition of the gull family his flock sees him as ambitious. His flock sees him also as a gull that wants to become a leader. They feel that Jonathan wants to be the highest. A gull who wants to be the best among the rest of the flock those are the perspectives of the other gulls to him. But the flock was wrong because Jonathan just wants to prove to them that they are not limited, a seagull is not limited. Jonathan’s determination to fly led him to great struggle because of his ambition to fly, most of his loved one’s disowned him. If I was in his case I will also do the same, because, I know very well that we are all looking forward for the goodness of ourselves. I will not care what other people would say about me because I know myself well I know what is right or wrong for me. All I am trying to do is just to prove that what they are saying was wrong I will just consider them as a part nor a trial or obstacle upon attaining my ambition in life.
In my own opinion Jonathan Livingston’s flock is a boring type of flock in the sense that they are just in the same place everyday they are not interested to go in other places. They are easy go lucky not looking forward to their future. Not even knowing what will come tomorrow, or the next day. There daily routine are just the same. They are really boring, and being boring will lead them to have a shorter life. They are equipped for versatility rather than specialization. Because, their wings are good for soaring as well as for strong and agile powered flight, for them cannot use air currents as efficiently as albatrosses or fly as fast as falcons. The foraging of gulls is fishing. Those are the things they usually do. They stick there self in other one place. They limit their capacity to their beliefs. They are contented of what they are they don’t have any time to discover things. They are pessimistic individuals. They are afraid of a change that is why they are not interested to learn they are contented in their ordinary ways of living.
I can relate their attitude in my life because, as we all know we are only humans we also have our weaknesses in life. I have this weakness in life, which I am trying to overcome, and that is being a negative thinker. I am afraid every time I had something to do just like for example; joining a certain competition I always think that I cannot win. I also think that “What if I will be rejected? What if I will forget my piece? What if I will forget my steps?” Those are only few of the questions my mind always keeps on asking which I know it is not good. I can also relate my attitudes to them, because most of the time I limit my capacity of learning. And now I realize that is not good we do need to develop fully. We need to have time to develop our self we must not be pessimistic individuals. Because being pessimistic, it will not help us to grow. We must satisfy our desires in life.
The best way to deal with them is to let them know and let them understand what on earth we are here for and that is because of we are here struggling for the better and not for worst. We must see to it that what we need we must get it. We must not limit our capacity upon learning we must be satisfied with our lives.
If I were Jonathan Livingston Seagull maybe I will also leave my family in the search for the fulfillment of my dreams, even though they are the one who had been a part of my life it is not the reason why I will always stay with them. I need also to be with my own, I need to search also for the fulfillment of my dreams. Because, it is a fact that sooner or later our family will be no longer with us so the early the better to practice being with our own we must practice ourselves because we cannot do anything with our lives if we will always depend in them. The better the family can give to me is their support of what I am doing because this is for my future, this is my dream and I need to fulfill or reach that dream of mine in order for me to have a better and yet brighter future.
When I read the story, something I realized the concept of freedom to learn and the search for one self. It talked about life of human being as a whole. Our struggles in order to survive, and purpose. It makes me asked the same question I heard sometime ago, “What on earth am I here for?”
Freedom is used to be unlimited. Jonathan Seagull symbolizes human being. Human freedom can be observed to the various activities of one’s life. It is present to the extent that a person takes control of his life, makes decisions and lives that life in a way that he has chosen. Human freedom refers to the mere absence of restrictions. Jonathan Seagull is some kind of a man who is not controlled by family, society and nature. He takes advantage of this opportunity given him to fly and actively determines his life that freedom is present.
The story talks about freedom. It makes me contemplate that freedom is a precious thing to be able to live as free individual. What is the ultimate purpose of freedom? The ultimate purpose of freedom is ultimately to satisfy my desires. Freedom is equated to responsibility. There was something that man was meant to achieve through his freedom, a fullness of human life.
Human freedom enables me to become myself. Through freedom I choose my values, those things that are really important for me, and I center my life on those values. Freedom is the primary factor for me to choose my basic goals and organize my energies to work toward those goals. Like all other people, I may come out into a mature decision for my career or work to fulfill my life. Freedom pushes me toward the basic meaning. The meaning of life will depend on man’s decision.
Another purpose of human freedom is meant to function in human’s life is the choice of one’s attitudes. With my freedom I am able to decide how I will face the selection that I am in. I can’t ignore the power that I am in for my attitudes. Like for instance, I can choose to give is to discouragement or I can choose to live with hope. I can choose to accept my situation as a wonderful opportunity or I can choose to regret it and hate it. I can choose to live my life as a gift and to be grateful for it or I can choose to see my life as a curse and punishment. In million different ways I am able to decide how I will respond to life because I choose my basic attitudes. Although as an individual I have little control of the major events of human history, I still have the efforts to avoid failure in my life I am able to choose how I will face those failures that arises. I can either choose to collapsed and give up or I can choose to be hopeful, to struggle on and to overcome failure like Jonathan Livingston did.
In other perspectives freedom describes this possibility of freedom as the "Power of positive thinking”. It urges us to adopt a positive rather than a negative attitude toward the situations that we are in. Instead of concentrating on the bad things that we meet in life we are to look at the possibilities that the situation offers us to assert ourselves and grow. Any difficult situation is a challenge and test for us, moment that gives us the opportunity to be brave to be wise and to be love. By thus, looking at life positively and controlling the attitude we take toward a situation that arises, we control that situation.
I learned also from the story that a person must not stay rooted to one spot. We need to go out from there and look for our life, look for our future because we cannot do anything with our lives if we will treat our self as what we are right now, we will absolutely remain as what we are. So, we must be like Jonathan Livingston Seagull, who is not tired and who treated his self as an individual who is not limited. Because as we all know a seagull is a low flying bird and for them what matters most is not flying but eating but for him it is not true. He really tried his very best to reach that ambition without shame, he didn’t mind if he is bone and feathers but what he is trying to prove is that a seagull can also fly-high. And fortunately he proved it to other gulls. I like the way Jonathan treated him self. I am trying also to be like him for it is good to become ambitious you will really try your very best to reach that ambition. You will really aim high to hit the mark.
To be perfectly honest, it’s pretty demanding to come up with new ideas to feed readers all the time. This is also my attitude I am a type of reader who is very demanding. I want the author to present the story like this and like that and so on… but as I read the story Jonathan Livingston Seagull I am glad because my demands in reading are all present in the book. I had fun reading the book. And so if I will be given a chance to rate the story with the scale of 1-10 with 1 is the lowest and 10 is the highest I will choose the highest rate which is 10. I chose 10 because the story was extraordinary. I considered the story as one of the best stories I had read, because it talks about life. The story was very meaningful. After I had read the story I learned so many things about life. That I must be true to myself, I must follow what I think right for me. I must not care what other people will say about me because I know what is right and what is wrong for me. The story was really nice no exact word I can best describe to the story for it was absolutely meaningful and yet extraordinary. You will really appreciate the way the author presented the story. The author was really true that the real Jonathan Livingston Seagull lives within us!
In life it is really very important to live freely because it is everyone’s right. It is important to be free but we have also to face many consequences if ever we will not be going to the right path. So, we have to think couple of time before we will decide whether to pursue or not. Because it is really true that regrets is too late. In this world it is a fact that we will learn a lesson from our faults. It is not late yet, if you think it is good for you then go…if not, then don’t pursue. Take time…


I INSERTED A VIDEO, A tribute song to the NOVEL...


2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey im having some problems with finding answers... can you give me a hand with this story?

JOHN said...

I feel bad that I just read your comment @Chris :(